get real

She asked for it! Stephanie over at Adventures in Babywearing is asking bloggers to get real and show ourselves with no makeup. This photo was taken just moments ago, shortly after I woke up. I took a number of shots, trying to smile or get my eyes to look a bit more lively but it just wasn't in me yet. haha.

Around the house I don't bother with make up but for most trips out I wear mascara, undereye concealer (although it does almost nothing), and blush. And chapstick - always chapstick. I would love to learn professional application tips someday, even for the minimal amount I wear.

My Grandpa died when I was 15 years old. I remember being at my grandparents house one day shortly before he passed and him calling each of us in to talk with him for a while. He told me about the word Shalom and how it had such deep meaning and that is what he wished for me. The other thing I remember is him telling me that I never had to wear makeup. That I was very beautiful just as I was. His words didn't make me swear off make up for life but they have stayed with me for the last 20 years. I'm so thankful to have this memory of him.

Comments

  1. Yeah -- it's a real treat when I can wear makeup and leave the house!! My days are usually mascara only with some Chapstick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That has to be the sweetest thing ever- what your Grandpa said... how special that you've held that to your heart so long... thanks so much for playing along!!

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow..that memory of your grandfather is beautiful. And..he was right. You don't really need it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great memory! Peace be with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the 1st thing I thought when i saw ur pic was "awe... she looks so sad, but shes so beautiful!" I would kill for your lips LOL.
    And I agree chapstick is a must for me :-) Im not a lipstick wearer... but chapstick or a nice gloss is my fav.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing...you are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful memory!

    Your photo looks like you have soo much to say!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't live without my chapstick!

    I've faved you in the Technorati Favorites Exchange. Here's my link:
    http://technorati.com/faves?sub=addfavbtn&add=http://angelika1972.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a sweet thing for your grandpa to say! i'd hold that dear to my heart, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Concealer never works for me either!! Sweet story about your Grandpa.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful story to share with us about your Grandpa. He certainly knew what he was talking about!!

    And yes .... I did manage to get one cup of HOT coffee in me before the rug rats began squealing! :)

    Thanks for stopping by and leaving those very nice words.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what a seriously wonderful and beautiful man your grandpa must have been!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww, you look so sleepy!

    I agree, I have lip balm in my purse, bathroom, bedroom, knitting bag etc because I use it all the time. I can't wear lipstick, it sucks the moisture right outta my lips.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hardly ever wear make up at home.. Right before DH comes home from work I'll try to hide the dark bags under my eyes and put on some lipgloss but that is about it unless I'm leaving the house and then i do love to doll up with the make up.. but who has time to do that every morning LOL. My Grandma(dads mom) was one of those ladies who always had her face put on shortly after waking up.. still is, she is the one who taught me about skin care and make up.. my mom never did wear make up, it always broke her skin out so she just never bothered with it and didn't learn how to put it on. She did/does wear lipstick from time to time but that is it.
    your photo look great, I just got mine up today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a sweet story - and you still look beautiful without make-up...though a little sleepy - I understand that one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What does Shalom mean?
    What a truly special memory of your Grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  17. What awesome words of wisdom your grandfather gave you, he was right. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. G O R G E O U S ! as YWEH intended. love it!

    SHALOM!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts