milk free & egg free chocolate chip cookies

I found a really good & easy egg-free cookie recipe sometime last year. Please forgive me for not remembering where...it was from a book, I know that much. Anyways, I've made it a few times as is and have even tried raspberry & lemon versions with moderate success. (dear extract, how I love thee) Tonight I decided to try and make it a bit healthier - yes, because that is good for us but also because I don't have any trans fat free shortening on hand and I *really* wanted some cookies. While pawing through my baking cabinet while my kids languished played in their highchairs I found a package of Flaxseed Meal. Upon inspection I found, in tiny letters near the bottom, that they suggest substituting it for butter or shortening in recipes. TA DA!!! So, here is my new and improved vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe. We all enjoyed them, especially while still warm & toasty.

Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 C Brown Sugar
1/2 C White Sugar
1/4 C Margarine (I used Smart Balance Light for baking & nutrition calculations)
3/4 C Flaxseed Meal
1/2 C Yogurt (I used Vanilla)
2 t Vanilla
1 C White Flour
3/4 C Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
1/2 t Baking Soda
1/2 t Salt
3/4 C Chocolate Chips

Heat oven to 375. Blend sugars, margarine, flaxseed meal & vanilla with beaters. Add flour, soda & salt, stirring in gently. Fold in chocolate chips. Drop by small tablespoon-fulls on parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes (or more) until lightly browned. Remove from sheets & cool on wire racks. Enjoy!

This yeilded 24 good size cookies for me. They spread a little but pretty much stay in little mounds. The flaxseed meal does give them a pleasant nutty taste that is not at all overpowering. I will probably make them smaller next time to get 3 dozen. For 24 cookies, this is the nutrition info each:
  • 116 Calories
  • 3.9g Fat
  • 2.2g Protien
  • 20g Carbs
  • 1.9g Fiber
  • 11.8g Sugar
Next time I'm going to try all whole wheat flour for more fiber & protien and also reduce the sugar. Let me know if you try them!

Comments

  1. would it still taste good if i took out the nuts?
    im trying to bake for someone who is allergic to milk, eggs, and nuts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts