snacks for me? that works!


The mornings we have an outing planned are usually spent running around getting the kids fed, brushed, washed & dressed, stocking our diaper bag, packing a lunch, hurrying into my clothes and slapping some mascara on while I brush my teeth at the kitchen sink. If I'm really lucky, I have time to grab a cup of coffee to take along. As much as I hate to sound like that stereotype of a harried mom...it's true.

In all of this busyness it's easy to forget my breakfast - you know, the most important meal of the day. I'm one of those people that when hunger hits you better watch out. I'll get kind of shaky and very crabby and it seems to come on out of nowhere sometimes. Trying to calmly handle 2 small children isn't easy when I am in the best of moods and downright impossible when I'm starving. Because of this, I have learned to keep some snacks just for me in our van. We have a small drawer under the passenger seat and I like to keep my stash down there. I really like a lot of the energy bars or granola bars on the market right now. Most of them have a decent calorie count and are pretty good sources of protein and fiber. (along with a healthy dose of sugar to keep my spirits up.) :) My favorites are Luna Bars (Love the Pecan Pie & Lemon Zest) and the Kashi TLC Cruncy Bars (Pumpkin Flax & Almond - these are even safe for James). I just tried a Larabar last weekend and will now be adding them into the mix as well.

When looking up my links I found a couple good articles about bars: Best of the Bars at medicinenet.com and another one from Shape Magazine. I even found a link to some Gluten Free ones if that is a concern for you.

Another thing I like to keep on hand is some homemade trail mix. My favorite combo is dates, raisins, almonds, sunflower seeds and a few chocolate chips. I just mix it all up and store it in the fridge to scoop out as needed. Easy, moderately priced and a true lifesaver when that hunger hits unexpectedly.
If you have a little extra time and like playing around in the kitchen, you can always make your own. There are tons of recipes out there, here are a couple that looked good to me: Playgroup Granola Bars and Fruity Granola Bars. After trying the Larabars I'm going to attempt to make my own version, just for fun. Most of them only have a few ingredients and they really taste so good.
For many more Works For Me Wednesday ideas stop by Rocks In My Dryer!

Comments

  1. I can't believe I haven't done this! This is such a great tip! With 5 kids, I'm always worried about having stuff for THEM and then having to hassle through a drive-thru to pick up something for ME which usually ends up being something for them too b/c I feel bad.

    Good idea! I'm glad someone's doing the thinking for me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts