reading & eating


My library stack is way out of hand. I have a huge pile of good books and I am so afraid I won't get to them all before they are due. One nice thing is our library only charges .05 per day in late fees. I do feel guilty keeping books longer, though, as I know what it's like to wait.


Two that I have gone through and am really enjoying are The Sneaky Chef and Vegan Lunch Box. I love the hunt for new recipes and both of these books have given me lots of ideas. The Sneaky Chef does have an awful lot of recipes with cheese (hard to substitute with soy) and eggs but there are still plenty of yummy tips I am filing away for future meals. One of them: If you're going to make your kids Jello, and most of us will at one point or another, substitute blueberry juice or brewed green tea for the water. Brilliant! I can't wait to try it...I bet my friends will enjoy green tea jigglers as well. (I wonder if you could make Jello Shots with green tea & vodka...YUM) Okay, I'm getting off track...


Vegan Lunch Box is full of recipes from Jennifer McCann's blog of the same name, found here. I found this blog over a year ago and have periodically checked in on it ever since. The cookbook has lots of delicious recipes and tips for fun vegan eating for kids and adults. Of the two of books, this is the one I might buy. It's always nice to have a cookbook that I know I could make any single recipe in it for James.
Another blogger with a book out this summer is Clotilde of Chocolate & Zucchini. This is one of the first food blogs I ever read and I am so looking forward to thumbing through her book. I'm sure it will be as gorgeous as her blog.

On another food note...I finally tried putting fresh spinach in smoothies last night to see if it worked as well as I've heard. It does! I blended frozen strawberries, blueberries, a banana, some soy yogurt, soy milk and about a cup of spinach in the food processor. James, Ruby and myself all loved them and James didn't even question the little dark green flecks...they blend right in with the blueberry skins. Another great idea that I am going to use again and again.


I just got an email that Plenty is waiting for me at the library right now. I better go put on my jammies and start reading.

Comments

Popular Posts