love & tesla coils

(this is not the one Patrick built)

I love my husband. He is the first one I ever said I loved so much it made me sick. We now say that about our kids, but he started it. Neither of us is perfect but we are perfect for each other. There is no one else in this world that I would want to live with and spend time with every day. (except my kids but they don't count because I do hope to not live with them someday, a very long time from now)


Okay, I'm almost done with the loving talk. My heart is just full with him today and I feel so thankful for the last 12 years. Can you tell we had a nice day yesterday? :) Michelle watched the kids so we could go to brunch. It was a beautiful morning and the food was delicious. Best of all was just sitting beside him in a booth, my head on his shoulder. Lifting it only to take another sip of coffee or bite of quiche. (I wish they had restaurants for tired parents away from their kids for the first time in a very long time where they served you in bed...so you could snooze and eat and still get waited on.)


We had a bit of time to just be together after we ate and then we went and got the wee ones. Michelle said they were so good and neither one of them batted an eye when we left. I was so proud of James for being such a good boy. Even though I pity myself for all I put up with from him, it does make me feel so good that so many people have told me how easy he is to watch. I guess I'd rather have him be a rat to me and be good to others when I am not around. Makes leaving him easier! hahaha! Anyways, Michelle & I are pretty excited to live so close to each other and really want to keep switching kids. (on a side note...Kelsey never returned my last call. Her cousin was gravely injured so I think their family is still in crisis mode. I hope she calls one day, even if she can't babysit again, I just really liked her. I think I'll send her a note.)


After I put Ruby down for a nap I went and got my hair cut, highlights and my eyebrows waxed. Feels so good! I don't look like Bert anymore! I also spent $30 at the Lands' End Inlet and got 2 sweaters, 3 long sleeve t shirts, and one short sleeved t shirt. Original price for all of it would have been $140.00. The sweaters are cable knit, navy and dark yellow...I can totally wear them this fall and winter and the long sleeve shirts are also good for fall. It's so much fun to shop when you haven't for a while. I know I didn't make it the whole month but I did really hold off for a long time. :)


We put the kids to bed early and watched The Prestige. This movie came out last year and I had no real interest in seeing it because we had already seen the other turn of the century magic movie with Ed Norton. I thought this one was soooo much better! I loved it. Patrick liked it but had a few small issues with the role Tesla played in the story line.


See, Patrick built a Tesla Coil almost 10 years ago. It was his 3rd year in school and he constructed it in our garage. He got most of his information on the Internet as well as lots of help from other coilers around the country.


It was the middle of the night, sometime in April 1998, when he woke me from a dead sleep to come out to the garage. All the lights were out and he handed me an extension cord. Plug this in, he said. (I haven't told you much about this side of my husband but most who know him would be a little hesitant in this situation.) I did as he said (what a good wife!) and suddenly little bolts of lightning were shooting around our garage, lighting up a fluorescent bulb that he had suspended from the ceiling. The bulb was not attached to the machine at all! It's really pretty amazing and if you ever get the chance to see one demonstrated you should do it. I was so proud of him! He made this amazing machine himself. How cool. Sadly, we moved 3 weeks later and he had to leave it behind. It is still at the University and he's been to visit it a couple times over the years.


Anyways, 10 hours later, back to The Prestige. Patrick developed a real fondness for Nikola Tesla during his research and was a little disappointed with how they portrayed him & his work in the film. For most of us, or those of us without soft spots for certain scientist from the 1800s, it's a very clever film. And creepy! Loved it!


Okay, I'm out of time. (I can hear your sighs of relief from here...or rather one sigh of relief as no one else finished all of this.) Have a good Monday...back later! xo

Comments

  1. I need a haircut too, but I somehow I only managed to get Jack's done. Even that is an accomplishment! LOL

    That is a lot of clothes for $30!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts