I knew this would happen

I had a feeling that I wasn't going to be able to do everything and still enjoy any of it. I talked to Michelle last night and we decided to go to the Farmer's Market next weekend. Much better...now I have some wiggle room. I did finish the birthday gift and I know what I want to make for my friends...this morning I can go get the groceries and have plenty of time to put everything together before we leave for the party. (They are both going to be there so I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to drop them off.)


I went to Jo-Ann's to get my fabric on Thursday night, after Ruby went to bed. There were 3 very friendly women who helped me while I was there and every one of them said they are working at Jo-Ann's to support their addiction. Every one of them mentioned the piles of projects they have stashed and how they always buy more fabric than they need. What am I getting myself into, I thought, as I left the store with my bulging bag of flannel.
Well, this for starters.

This was my first project from Amy Karol's bend-the-rule's Sewing book. It is tiny and sweet and I am hoping the little one that I made it for will love it. This is my favorite fabric and I might have to go back and get some more.

It took me about 2 hours to finish this...I got some new scissors and MAN was cutting out easier. Putting it all together had me stumped for a little while but it was one of those situations where I was missing what was right in front of me. Her directions in the book are clear and easy to follow. I love the little trick about flattening the bottom corners and sewing across them to make a square bottom...genius! :)

This was a lot of fun to sew (because it's so tiny and cute!) and I know I'll be making more of them. I also was able to finish a ballet pillowcase and I love how it turned out, too. I screwed up a little but I don't think the intended 4 year old will care much. This flannel is pretty inexpensive (on sale for 2.49/yd) and is so soft after you wash and dry it. The woman who cut my fabric for me told me that it goes on sale for .99/yd on Black Friday. She said the women are lined up outside for the 6am open and rush for the flannel aisle, FILLING their carts. Oh my. I'm not sure I could handle the anxiety of that. (we'll see) (Mom?) heehee.

Comments

  1. i've been eyeing this boks for so long now, and always page through it when i find myself at Barnes and Noble...do you like the book? are the patterns easy?
    i love the fabirc you chose for your bag. beautiful work! i'm hoping to make a few this fall/winter for myself and friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, that is the cute-est bag I have ever seen!!! You are a genius!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the bag!

    I have gone to joannes on "Black Friday" and all I can say is that it's crowded! There are some great deals though and their flannel is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks you guys! :) It's so fun to make something new!

    Liz - This is the first thing I've tried from her book but it was very easy to follow. I have it from the library but am going to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job on the bag! It looks great! I have been reading raving reviews of Amy Karol's book online but haven't had a chance to see it in person yet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts