hmmmmm...

(photo by roboppy on flickr)


I have had this little dream for a while and let myself wander over it again tonight while I was putting Ruby to bed. I would love to sell dairy/egg/nut free baked goods. My first thought was the Madison Farmer's Market but they have a 3 year waiting list. Actually, I might be ready to give it a good shot with 3 years prep time but, honestly, I'd probably lose interest by then. The Hilldale market goes indoors for the winter and they are always looking for more vendors. The cost is only $30/booth for a Saturday. That would definitely be something I could try BUT, and this is the big catch, I need licenses and such. I guess lots of residential areas aren't zoned for commercial baking...I'll have to make some calls and find out if it's even a possibility.



I know how it feels to not find anything that James can have, bakery wise, at the market and other places. There is something about munching on a fresh baked muffin or cookie that I would love to be able to share with him. (outside of our home) I would love to see restaurants all over with a small selection of allergen & gluten free treats for those who need them. Of course, I have no knowledge in gluten free baking and I think soy free would be very challenging so I would stick to the top 3 allergens, which we happen to deal with, dairy, egg and peanut. I wouldn't use tree nuts either, but would use some sunflower seeds & Sunbutter. These treats would also be Vegan which could be an additional selling point.



My original little dream was to have a truly child friendly coffee shop...with a gated play area...that catered to those with food allergies. That seems daunting right now but maybe this smaller scale baking would be a good place to start. I just love that I have found some really good recipes over the last few years and it would make me really happy to be able to provide them to a child who couldn't otherwise have anything. (except honey and fresh fruit, which is nothing to sneeze at, but you know...) I actually get a little teary thinking about it. It's that same thing...we all want our kids to be able to enjoy the little pleasures in life and to know they are safe at the same time.



Okay, I know this is going all over the place but I wanted to get it all down before I talked myself out of it.



Here are some recipes I know I could make well:



Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins, Applesauce Muffins, PumpkinApple Muffins, Pumpkin Bread, Chocolate Cupcakes. I have some great cookie recipes, too. Vegan/Allergen Free Holiday Cookie Plates...AHHHH! Can you imagine?!

Comments

  1. I think it sounds like a wonderful idea! It would be nice to know "safe" baked treats are available for the kiddos that need them. Maybe you could do a basket sample thing at James' school or with your playgroup, just to see what it might be like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my BFFs and I have dreamed of opening a child-centered cafe. Not just child-friendly but completely child-centered.

    I LOVE the idea of making it allergy-friendly. Certainly there wouldn't be a peanut in the whole place!

    Here in Seattle there is a place called My Coffee House that is pretty close to what I'm envisioning. Lots of yummy sandwiches and a play space for kids.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts