yummy milk free, egg free cut out sugar cookies



cutter, originally uploaded by stephaniekg.

I have all of these lovely old Christmas cookie cutters and a young boy who loves to make cookies but has some food allergies. Hmmmm. Our last cut outs were okay, and the pie crust idea worked fine, but I had high hopes for something better.

I found it. Using this recipe, I substituted a soy milk & vinegar combination for the buttermilk and a powdered soy milk, corn starch & water mixture for the egg. The dough acted and tasted just like I remembered from when I was a kid...slightly sticky and really yummy. The cookies baked up quickly, these are puffy & soft, and were even better today.
ETA: I am reprinting the recipe here, with my substitutions, because there are lots and lots of people coming to look...'tis the season! I hope you enjoy them!

Soft Cutout Cookies
2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup margarine, very soft (I used Earth Balance buttery sticks)
1/2 scant cup soy milk with 1.5 tsp vinegar added (let sit 5 minutes)
1 tbsp soy milk powder + 1 tbsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp water
(or ener-g egg replacer for 1 egg OR 2T cornstarch)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a large bowl, cream together sugar and butter. Beat in soy milk & vinegar combo, egg replacer and extracts. With the mixer on low speed or by hand, add in the flour mixture, mixing until no flour remains.
Divide dough into two pieces. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for at least 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 375F.
Working with 1 piece of dough at a time, roll out to 1/4-inch thick on a lightly floured surface and use a floured cookie cutter to make desired shapes. *I used a flour/powdered sugar mixture for rolling and it worked really well. Transfer cookies to a parchment lined baking sheet. Reroll remaing dough, chilling for a few minutes if it becomes too warm to handle easily. Repeat with second piece of dough.
Bake for 6-7 minutes at 375F, until the edges are slightly firm to the touch but cookies are not browned (The bottom of the cookies will be light brown).
Cool completely on a wire rack before icing.
Makes 4-5 dozen, depending on cookie cutter size.

Looking for more dairy & egg free cookies? Try these chocolate chip ones or these FABULOUS Chewy Cocoa cookies from Orangette. (substitute soy yogurt in the last one...works great) And, did you know that coconut milk works great with Instant pudding? Happy Holidays!

Comments

  1. Oh, how fun! That cookie cutter reminds me of the ones my grandmother has :)

    We got your card today. Those little ones of yours are WAY too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this is an old string, but just found your recipe. Thanks so much from my two very allergic cuties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is old post but I just found it. Can I use an egg instead of the substitute mixture? I'm making cookies for a neighbor who's daughter has a milk allergy. They sound and look yummy! Thank yo for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I'm sure you can. You are so sweet to make them safe cookies. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts