back in the sewing saddle

Last winter Ruby spilled some washable (ha!) finger paint on a little red plaid dress that Susan had given us. I tried everything to get that out and finally ended up setting the dress aside in my "project" pile downstairs. Do you have a pile like that? A bunch of clothes that need mending or hemming or are too stained to wear but you can't bear getting rid of them? Um, I do. Anyways, that little red dress inspired this scarf that I finished today.

Our library page, Chelsea, is leaving for college (in Duluth!) in a couple of weeks and her going away party is Saturday night. I wanted to make her a little something and this is what I decided on. Duluth can be chilly and I hope this will help keep her a bit cozier as she's walking to class. The back is fleece and all the front fabrics are from my stash. She has a really cool style and I hope that she will at least consider wearing this. I have to admit it was kind of daunting to make something for a teenager, even one as sweet & cool as Chelsea. (read: it made me feel OLD)

Since the front of the dress was stained I had to use the back, the plaid piece on the bottom with the buttons. I am so happy with how it turned out...she can unbutton that middle button and stash some cash or a cel phone inside. I am definitely going to make more of these. Lots more. Expect to see many, many more...maybe in my Etsy shop.

(or I will lose interest next week but hopefully not before I sew up the other 4 (different ones) that I already cut out!)
Posted by Picasa

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! Way to go. And how crafty are you to think of a hidden pocket for money or a cell phone?! I think she'll love it.
    I loved that little dress and I'm so thrilled that you found a way to recycle it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Man I am so lazy about email that I am putting this here instead, lol.)

    I just saw an ad in the Sunday paper for some new granola bars that have a probiotic in them. An easy way for a diary free kid to get probiotics! Woooooohoooo.

    http://www.kraft.com/MediaCenter/country-press-releases/us/2008/us_pr_07232008.htm

    (Coupon in the sunday insert this weekend too.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts