this could have ended badly

but it ended in the best way possible.

a good idea (this is Braden, our new 9 year old neighbor)
a hesitant passenger
the proper gear (I found brand new elbow, wrist & knee pads for him at d&s)
the farthest it went

James was scared. Braden promised to go slow and then started telling him it wouldn't be a fun day unless he did it. (he's really a nice kid, but still a kid, you know?) I stepped in and (quietly) told James that I thought he would be really safe, that Braden would go slow, but that he should never do anything that he doesn't want to do, no matter what his friends might say. (oh my, was I really just saying those words to my child? How can we be at this point already?) He thought about it a minute and told Braden, "No thank you." Braden was disappointed but kind and we detached the sled from the bike. I was really proud of him as I went inside to put Ruby down for her nap.

A little while later I heard laughter and rolling wheels outside my bedroom window. I looked out and saw Braden running, pulling James on the sled behind him, both of them laughing.

I was proud of him then, too.

xoxo

Posted by Picasa

Comments

  1. Hey, checking in--great post and I love the title! How fast our little ones grow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great teachable moment and you handled it grandly! So glad he did what he felt comfortable with and wasn't pressured into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steph!
    Just checking in...finally. We have been trying to get high speed internet since July 28th, but have had all sorts of problems. Hopefully by the end of this week.

    looks like things are going well for you and your family!

    I miss you!
    jolee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Braden is really a wonderful kid! Good job James for doing what felt good to him!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi tls...what are you doing off the couch?

    Thanks, mim. :) Me, too.

    hi jules...I am missing you, too! I have tried to call many times. Must get high speed! ;)

    Thanks, Zoe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts