jelly roll hot pad tutorial



Last fall Zoe, Kari & I split an adorable jelly roll that we found at Nancy's Notions. Kari made an awesome tote out of hers right away but I have been sitting on mine since then. I realized last week that those strips would work for the potholders I've been wanting to make and match my kitchen.

I sewed 4 of the jelly roll strips together (long edges together) and then cut them into equal quarters (about 10"). Each of those quarters was just about the right length for the hot pad front with enough extra for the hanging loop.

I pressed my sewn quarters and trimmed each one to around 8.25" square. I used the trimmed end piece to fold over and sew the loop, turning right side out and pressing when finished.

The back is cut from some coordinating yardage. I sewed the pieced front and solid back right sides together, with the loop tucked inside, left a hole for stuffing, turned right side out, and pressed.

For the lining I used one layer of cotton batting and one layer of InsulBright that I got at JoAnn's with one of their 50% off coupons. (bringing it down to $3.50/yd) I tacked the two together and rolled them up like a burrito, tucked them in my opening, and unrolled. The tacking really helps get them easily into place. (speaking from experience here)

Next I just sewed around the outside, the first time really close to the edge to catch my opening and the second time in a little farther to catch the edges of the lining. I decided to sew between the front fabrics because it was just kind of calling for it. And then, as if by magic, I had hot pads!

These babies are not just for show. I tested the innards before sewing and held onto a 400 degree oven rack with no problem.

I know there are lots of hot pad tutorials out there but I thought I'd share this anyways. It's a good way to use up any jelly roll strips that you may have bought even though you don't quilt. ;)


Comments

  1. I LOVE them!!!!! Great job! IS there anything you can't do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. uh...yeah. plenty. :) thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my God I have been holding on to mine wondering what I might do with them and now I think I might know!! I LOVE THEM!! Great job.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts