school lunch


Once a month, during my sophomore year of high school, I would have to pick up my free lunch tickets. I would stand nervously at the table, waiting for the woman to find my name and cross it off the list for that month, praying she'd hurry and that no one would see me. Eventually she'd hand me the long strip of tickets and I'd quickly tuck them into my backpack.

I remember all I wanted back then was to have to wait in line with my friends every day, to just be able to buy them one at a time like they did.


**************

This post was inspired by Pip from meet me at mike's. She will be posting a writing theme every week and is inviting everyone to join in. I first heard of this through Ali's post and immediately this memory of school lunches came to me. I wish I could go back and tell my 15 year old self not to worry so much about it. I'd tell her she might not believe me but some day most of her favorite things would be from garage sales & thrift stores. That some day she would jump at the chance for a free lunch. :)

Comments

  1. How we are desperate, in those tender years, just to be like everybody else. Age really does have some benefits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this Stephanie..and I remember that yearning to fit in with others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That made me tear up. It's so important to be like everyone else when you are a teenager, huh? And now all we want is to be celebrated for our differences. Go figure. Lovely words and lovely picture too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by ali, cloudbusting & pip. I am looking forward to the next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes tickets! i actually liked some of the lunches that were served, (breakfast was always better, coffee cake!) but the stigma, sigh. when i had field trips in grade school, i got a school packed brown bag lunch and they were awesome, just like from home with a large oatmeal cookie and chocolate milk. recently i saw a school field trip lunching in a park and the kids were all provided with lunchables. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephanie, I just discovered some old letters written to me by my friends when we were in high school. It's astounding how much angst a teenage girl carries with her. They need so much support and lots and lots of hugs. When I read your piece that's what I wanted for your teenage self. I really have to remember that for when my daughters reach that age.

    ReplyDelete
  7. jek - lunchables. that is sad. eek.

    and Alisa - I want to remember that, too. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a really beautiful post. A few words can really say an awful lot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how a subject can just jog a memory, I can just imagine your feelings, its a very touching recount.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts