when you are making pancakes for dinner and you realize you are almost out of syrup



I'm not sure why, but this happens to me quite often.

Instead of getting mad and taking it out on my kids (I would never!) I simply turn to the freezer and make this blueberry compote. Patrick LOVES it, the thicker the better for him, as it tastes a lot like blueberry pie filling. I like it because it really stretches that last 1/2 cup of syrup and the kids like it because, well, it's sweet. (but not too sweet, don't worry...no extra sugar!)

You will need:

1 pound fresh or frozen blueberries (tonight I used about 1 C of each)
1/2 C real maple syrup
2 T cornstarch
1 t vanilla

Toss the blueberries in the cornstarch, add the syrup and heat over medium heat until the blueberries start getting really juicy. Heat about 5 more minutes until it thickens up, stirring & smooshing regularly. Add vanilla, stir & serve.

Recipe found on the glorious Post Punk Kitchen site.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular Posts