caution: extremem randomness ahead

  • It's James' birthday and part of me wants to write some meaningful post about him but I just don't have it in me this morning. All of you mothers know how much I love him...that doesn't need to be said, does it? God, I love him.
  • Ruby, on the other hand. heehee. She is challenging me today. We're just going through a period of constant parenting. I think I was sliding with her for a while and there is always a catch up period after a slow period. She is also just physically hard for me to take...her cries are so piercing. She screams a lot, too, but luckily that is only when James is home. If I had to listen to that all day I'd go mental.
  • I made some buckeyes this weekend. They are delicious and safely tucked away in the freezer. I used Sunbutter and Earth Balance margarine. Yum!
  • We took the kids to see the Fantastic Mr. Fox yesterday. I loved watching it, it was beautiful & funny in a way that I imagine only a stop action film from Wes Anderson could be. Parts of it were a little dark for James but he seemed fine. (Patrick & I put the P in PG) I think all of his hunting books helped prepare him for the farmer's hunting Mr. Fox. Ruby was oblivious to a lot of it, she watched it all but seemed mainly happy to be snacking on licorice and Icees. I loved sitting in a theater with all of them. How fun.
  • Yesterday afternoon Ruby told me she didn't like the boy teacher in her Sunday school class. She said he always asks her to help him and she doesn't want to. This gave me pause because Ruby always loves to go to church. The first time we brought them to this particular service I remember when I picked her up. I didn't like the way this man looked at her. Now, I am NOT saying he has done ANYTHING wrong. I am talking about a tiny feeling that I pushed away and didn't think of again...one I've had many times. (if you have a little girl, you have experienced this, no?) But when she said this yesterday it bothered me. If she had said that about a female teacher I wouldn't think twice. I would tell her too bad. But since it's a guy? We didn't go and we'll go to morning service from now on. I just want to try and trust those tiny feelings I have and I want her to know I will trust the tiny feelings she has. I don't know if this is just her not wanting to help or her having some intuition about this guy...I believe we all have intuition and should trust it. It's hard to do and sometimes leaves me feeling foolish. I've prayed about this and will maybe try to talk to her more this week and see if her story changes. What would you do? (again...I want to be clear that I don't think this guy has done anything wrong at all, but I do think certain people creep you out...even when you're 3.5.)
  • James brought a cake to school today but Ruby and I are going to make him another small layer cake for tonight after dinner. How could we not sing to him on his birthday? He opened his presents from us & Grandma this morning and LOVED them all. His party is on the 20th.
  • We are supposed to get up to 12 inches of snow by Wednesday. I'm kind of looking forward to it.
  • I'm not sure how much I'll be blogging these next couple of weeks. Right now I'm enjoying getting all of this out of my head but earlier I was thinking I would only do pictures for the next couple of weeks. I guess we'll just see what happens. Whenever I feel overwhelmed this is always the first thing I think of cutting back on...this hour I spend online in the morning reading blogs & writing my own. I love it but don't like when I feel like I'm being taken away from something more important. I really enjoy the blog habit and thought about doing the same kind of thing on my own. Is that kind of blog-stalker-ish? :)
  • Ruby has been playing pirate ship on my bed this whole time. I love her constant chatter & singing to herself while she plays.
The End. xoxo

Comments

  1. Stephanie, you are a great mom. I think you should trust your instincts and think it is great that you are trusting Ruby's too. Especially if you got a funny feeling from him too.

    And Happy Birthday to James!!! Megan will be bummed that she is missing out on birthday cake! I kept her home today - no fever yet but want to make sure she's in the clear before I send her back.

    Enjoy your day!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing the right thing re: Ruby's (and your) gut feelings. I'd wait and listen for Ruby to offer up any other details. If you want to ask a question, try to ask as open-ended and non-leading as you can (hard to do with a 3.5 year old), but sometimes the best info just comes spontaneously - like at bedtime or in the bath. I'm a former CPS social worker. If you want to email me so we can process this more privately, I'd be happy to. nicholasteresa@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trust your gut!!! Don't even think twice about going with your instincts. Please trust your friends on this. I'm pretty sure I shared with what happened to A two years ago - but if I didn't - just remember that you know what is best for your daughter.

    You are a great mom and your kids are proof of it. Happy Birthday James. hugs to that sweet boy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE buckeyes! And I'm totally looking forward to the snow, too. I'm not, however, looking forward to Poppy's preschool closing on Wednesday;) There's nothing wrong with avoiding a particular service because that guy creeps you out- I would, too. Six big high-fives to James from mom's blog friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto on trusting your instincts. You are an awesome mom! Ruby is fortunate to have a mom that is so in tune with her and takes her seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow--I am totally enthralled with HABIT. Gee, thanks, add another wistful, sweet place for me to while away the time when I should be doing laundry!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts