milk free egg free sugar cookies



I made these tasty little cookies yesterday afternoon. The recipe is actually a recipe for Thumbprint cookies but I know my kids wouldn't dig the jammy center so I rolled them into balls and pressed them flat with a sugared drinking glass. I baked one sheet for 8 minutes which gave me a very soft (but not mushy) cookie once set and one sheet for 10 minutes which gave me a crispier edge with a still soft center. My family liked both and at press time there are only 4 left. I plan on making another batch of these (they are super quick and easy) for them to frost and sprinkle and skip the cut outs altogether this year.

Here's the recipe:

  • 1 cup dairy free margarine, softened
  • 2/3 cup white sugar, plus extra for dipping your glass in
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract & 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (or use all vanilla)
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a medium bowl, cream together butter and white sugar until smooth. Mix in extracts. Mix in flour until dough comes together. Roll dough into 1 1/2 inch balls, and place on ungreased cookie sheets. Dip drinking glass in sugar and press down on each ball to flatten until approximately 1/4" thick.
  3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in preheated oven, or until lightly browned. Let cool 1 minute on the cookie sheet.
If you want to make the original thumbprint cookies, the recipe is here.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts