dairy free & egg free banana whoopie pies

I finally got to make the whoopie pies last night and, man, they some kind of tasty!  I used this recipe from Martha and changed it up to make it safe for James.

Banana Whoopie Pies:

2 C flour (I used white whole wheat flour)
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 C mashed banana
1/2 C Tofutti sour cream
1 stick softened margarine (I used Earth Balance buttery sticks)
1/2 C granulated sugar
1/2 C brown sugar
1/4 C firm tofu  (I didn't drain it or anything)
1/2 t vanilla

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a bowl. Combine banana and sour cream in another bowl.
  2. Beat margarine and granulated and brown sugars with a mixer on medium-high speed, until pale and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add tofu and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, beating until incorporated. Add banana mixture in 2 additions, alternating with flour mixture.
  3. Transfer batter to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/4-inch plain tip. (I used a ziploc bag with the corner cut off...worked just fine)  ;)  Pipe batter into 1 1/4-inch rounds on baking sheets, spacing rounds 1 1/2 inches apart.
  4. Bake until edges are golden, about 12 minutes. Slide parchment, with cookies, onto wire racks. Let cool. (Unfilled cookies can be stored for up to 1 day.) 

Here is where the original recipe and I parted ways again.  I have Tofutti cream cheese but thought these would be good with chocolate frosting so just made a simple chocolate butter-cream with margarine, powdered sugar, vanilla, soy milk & some cocoa.  I don't have an exact recipe but you could try this one.

I also decided to just frost most of them singly so they would go a little farther:



My mom thinks they are even better today.  I would have to agree...yummy!

xoxo

Comments

  1. Yum- whoopie pies are the best. Hope you're having a good time with your mom!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts