"Ask not what you can do for your country.

 Ask what's for lunch."  ~Orson Welles



So, what's for lunch?

I am still in the honeymoon phase of school lunch preparation.  A big part of that is due to a little list that James and I compiled together.  I thought I'd share it here in case anyone else could use some inspiration.  (not that it is particularly inspiring.  It's not like over here or anything.)  (so cute!) (so not happening!)

Without further ado, a milk, egg & peanut free list of lunchbox main dish ideas:

  • roast beef & vegenaise sandwich  (he is SO over salami)  (vegenaise is really good!)
  • cracker & cream cheese sandwiches with cucumber slices (on the side)
  • hot dogs (in his hot thermos)  (I love this Thermos.  It keeps things warm until lunch when preheated with hot water) with buns on the side
  • cold chicken nuggets (he also likes the dinosaur nuggets cold but I've made this recipe 3 times in the last month and my family loves them.)
  • cold pasta salad with chicken, bacon & vegenaise
  • good old tunafish & vegenaise sandwich
  • cream cheese & jelly on a whole wheat tortilla
  • mac & chreese
  • cut up turkey, carrots, peapods, pretzels and ranch dip (dip made with tofutti sour cream)
  • yogurt, fruit & a muffin
  • cold cereal with milk & a sliced banana to put on top
  • waffles or pancake strips with a little container of syrup and some sausages in his hot Thermos
  • chicken noodle soup & a roll 
  • spaghetti leftovers
  • sunbutter & jelly baked in refrigerator croissants (only way sb&j is accepted)
  • hot dogs baked in refrigerator croissants (mini corn dogs!)
I always add fruit and a cookie or another small treat.  This year he is suffering through with chocolate milk only one day a week.  

I think it helped that he and I made this list together so there shouldn't be any complaining when he opens his lunchbox.  I'm sure there will be at some point, that's practically a given, but there hasn't been so far.  I hope we can add to it as the year goes on.  Having it written down also helps me out in the morning.

What's on your lunchbox menu?

xoxo

Comments

  1. *smacks forhead* I can't believe it never occured to me to sit down and make a list like this with my kids! What a great idea.

    Let's see. We (and by we I mean my kids) like mini-bagels so alot of days there are those with either cream cheese and ham, for Iris, or cheddar cheese and ham, for Eloise. I will do cut up cheese and "natural" pepperoni and a side of crackers, too. I get in a rut for a fruit/vegetable. E will eat baby carrots, Iris won't. I usually do apples because they hold up well. Also a granola bar, rice crackers, chips and salsa, hummus and pretzels, something like that. I always pack a ton of food because if it doesn't get eaten during the day it gets eaten on the car ride home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK you guys both rock. E gets cold pasta, cheese sammies, and sunbutter. Oh and once a week he gets a lunchable. Maybe I should send my kids to your house for their lunchs... kinda a long drive, but it might be worth it;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts