Thursday, December 02, 2010

dairy free worms and dirt cake (oh yes I did!)

A Tiger Cub dad emailed me the other day to see if James could have dirt cake as his son wanted to bring it to the pack meeting tonight as their snack.  He wanted to know if it was safe or could be made safe or could he bring a special snack for James.

Wasn't that incredibly thoughtful?  I admire this guy for A) making the snack with his son and B) remembering that James had allergies.  It really made my day.

I told him it looked like it could be safe with the right ingredients and I would be happy to make one here and send some along for James.  I thanked him for contacting me because it does mean a lot to James to have the same thing as everyone else when he can, even if it is his own version.  This guy then offered to go get what was needed and make the safe version for all the kids but I wasn't going to send him to Whole Foods and Woodmans for special ingredients.

(And, by the way, who is this guy??  I'm wondering if maybe I dreamed this all up??)  :)  heehee

So, without further ado, here's the dirt (sorry, had to say it) on dairy free dirt cake  (with worms, of course):

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup dairy free margarine, softened
  • 4 oz. dairy free cream cheese, softened  (1/2 of a container)
  • 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1 t vanilla
  • 1 small package instant vanilla or chocolate pudding mix
  • 8 oz. coconut milk (not low fat...this is about half of a can.  shake well before using.)
  • 1 carton of Rich Whip frozen whipped topping, thawed and whipped
  • 1 pkg Oreos
  1. Chop cookies very fine in food processor. The white cream will disappear.
  2. Mix margarine, cream cheese, vanilla and sugar in bowl.
  3. In a large bowl mix coconut milk, pudding and whipped topping together.
  4. Combine pudding mixture and cream mixture together.
  5. Layer in flower pot or bowl, starting with cookies then cream mixture. Repeat layers.
  6. Chill until ready to serve. 
  7.  Top with gummy worms and serve with a shovel if that is your thing.



I halved the original recipe (halved version is what's up above) and it filled up one normal sized mixing bowl.

When I first told James about this he thought I was serious.  I had him going for a while that worms and dirt could really be tasty.

:)

xoxox

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this recipe. I just made it for Maddox's party. I am going to try and make it look like a moon somehow. Maybe. It is DELICIOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that I found this as my 10 year old wants to eat dirt cake desperately for his next birthday. He has very severe dairy allergies and so I 'm curious about this recipe. I have always read that Cool Whip (and other brands) have dairy in them as does a pudding mix. Is there a special brand that you use? Love to know and thx for this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much - I will search for RICH WHIP. His birthday isn't until September! LOL He is just making sure I have plenty of time to figure out all the adjustments, I guess! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...