Wednesday, December 22, 2010

how I accidentally made some mittens and other strange tales

I really did accidentally make these mittys.  I saw some super cute handmade ones at The Glitter Workshop but couldn't afford them right now and figured I could probably make some.  I googled a bit and found this tutorial.  I printed the pattern and cut them out one afternoon last week.  Luckily it only took a few minutes as that is usually all I have.

And then on Saturday morning I had another few minutes so I sewed one of them up, in like 5 minutes.  And it all fit together and my sewing machine didn't jam up and nobody unplugged it and the baby didn't get any pins in his mouth and there was no swearing and it totally was cute!

I showed Patrick and he was surprised I had made it as it looks very professional.  (at first glance, to a man)  Not surprised in an icky way but like, "Wow.  Looks good bunny!"  So a few hours later I made the other one and then I had a new pair of mittens.  super cool.

I used the pattern as it was printed and they are a touch short for my hands...my fingers go right to the end.  Next time I am going to enlarge the pattern and make a double layer mitten with fleece on the inside.  I used an old sweater for these ones and they totally match my new jacket.  Happy.  A perfect little crafty pick-me-up...you should try them!

I slept funny on my arm (HAHA) the other night and it has been a big old achy mess ever since.  Makes me have a bit more understanding how someone with chronic pain would feel.  (thinking of you, friend!)  ouchies.  Last night Patrick heated up the rice bag I traded with Kari for and it felt soooooo good.  (Here is a tutorial for one of those but you totally don't need to piece the front or add essential oils.  Kari's is longer, too.  I love it.)  I took 3 advil this morning and they are helping a lot.

Nicholas is finally better.  No runny nose and our eyes are both better, too.  The stomach flu is going around our town hot and heavy and I am trying not to worry too much about us getting it.  :(  What can you do, right?  Just load up on the hand sanitizer, I guess.  (which we are)



Wendy asked me if I could watch her daughter for a couple of hours after pre-school today.  I said sure and then she offered to take Ruby home with them for a couple of hours when she is done with her meeting.  I said double sure!  (Ruby says "double" everything right now....she is double mad, double happy, double hungry.)  And then she asked if James would want to ride the bus home with her older daughter after school and play for a while.  I said, "Oh no, you don't have to do that" and she said, "I know, but I am offering."  And I thought, "good point" and so I said, "Sure!"  So this afternoon I will get another few hours with only the baby here.  What a gift!!  Thank you, Wendy.

The baby has also started to babble his first consonants.  I adore this milestone and love to hear his tiny voice saying "babababadadadadamamama."  So sweet.

My life would be a lot less hectic without my baby but he brings me more joy than I imagined, every day.  I tell myself over and over throughout the day, "It doesn't matter.  It doesn't matter."  Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.  I am so selfish in wanting some time to do what I want to do and there is so little of that.  I always ends up being okay though, and I guess that is the lesson for me.  That stuff will still be there, whenever I get to it and I am definitely learning to take pleasure in a few minutes here and there.   (see miraculous mitten story above.) 

I would like to find a clever way to tie the above paragraph with the one about Wendy but I just don't have the time.  Do you see the connection?  I always get a little something that keeps me going...and sometimes a big something...like a quiet afternoon.

Nicholas - you better nap!

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. sorry your arm hurts......
    if those mittens are too short i know someone with very short fingers......
    wendy is nice.......
    can you try to teach nickolas how to say gramma by sat.?
    i cannot wait to see you all.
    love.....mama xoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...