I find it hilarious

that last Friday afternoon I was so calm about everything.  Because on Friday night?  Forget it.  I found myself hunched over my sewing machine, swearing, and made myself stop.  That is not how I want to spend the next less than 3 weeks.  Sewing at night is fine if everything goes well but not so fine when things go wrong, as they often do when I sew.  I don't have the patience to deal with it when I'm tired and it immediately becomes un-fun.

So.  That's that for the handmade Christmas.  :)  If I get to something, I get to it.  If not, there's always the rest of the year to send someone a little surprise.

Saturday night I tried going to do a little shopping by myself.  About an hour after I left Patrick called and said Nicholas woke up and was not happy.  sigh.  I grumbled to myself and slouched out into the snowy night to head back home.  I passed by a horrible accident with 3 cars and 2 firetrucks and 5 ambulances and just started to cry.

I asked myself what is most important to me this year, in these next few weeks?  Here's what I decided:

1.  Almost the first thing that came to my mind was baking cookies for James.  I have a life long love of Christmas cookies, especially the ones my Grandma made, and I have a strong desire for him to experience that beautiful cookie tray, too.  (okay, beautiful might be a stretch.  my grandma's were beautiful, though.)  This might sound strange but I can't explain it any better.  When I thought of what was most important?  There it was.  For me, cookies = love at Christmas, I guess.

2.  Talking about Jesus with my kids and going to church with my family.  (second only to cookies.  :)  )

3.  Finish shopping in one more well-planned daytime excursion.

4.  mailing cards and presents

5.  wrapping gifts for family with Patrick while we drink wine or hot chocolate

6.  put up tree and watch a Christmas movie together

That's it.

Of course I want my house clean before my family comes but my mom is coming early so I know she will play with pickles while I vacuum.  (thanks mom.  xoxo)

So now I am trying to stay true to that stuff and forget the rest.  There is a birthday party in there but that should be easy as a certain Mr. Chuck E. Cheese is taking care of most of the work. 

You all must know by now that I love my blog and posting here every morning.  If I don't get to it I feel like I might be letting someone down but honestly, I'm sure no lives are hanging in the balance.  :)  So, please excuse slow or no posting here for the next few weeks.  Thank you.

What is on your list?  Pray or meditate on that and then go for it.

xoxo

p.s.  I did somehow find time to take 150 photos of this monkey bowl we thrifted last week.


I wish all my dishes had cute little monkeys hanging off the edge.

Oh wait, no I don't.  So hard to stack!

Comments

Popular Posts