homemade blueberry, pecan & coconut granola recipe (with quick cooking oats)

I bought some coconut flakes a while back and wasn't too impressed once I tried them.  Raw, they are kind of chewy and easily wedge between your teeth.  I hate letting expensive ingredients rot in my cupboard so I figured it was time to make some granola.

The problem I encountered was that almost all granola recipes I found call for rolled oats and I've only got Quick 1-Minute Quaker Oats at home with me today.  (and going to the store was just out of the question.  way too lazy.)

I found one recipe, this one, and modified it to suit my tastes and ingredients on hand.

It is fabulous!  I am afraid it's going to be gone before breakfast tomorrow as we all keep grabbing handfuls when we pass by the jar of it on the countertop.



You will need:

  • 3 cups quick cooking oats
  • 1 cup chopped nuts or seeds
  • 1/2 cup wheat germ, wheat bran or ground flaxseed (or any combo of those 3 to equal 1/2 cup)
  • 1/2 cup coconut flakes (or shredded coconut if that's what you've got)
  • 1 T cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup real maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 tablespoons warm water
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 250. Lightly grease a large rimmed baking sheet.
  2. In a large bowl, combine oats, nuts, coconut, cinnamon and wheat germ combo.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine honey, brown sugar, vegetable oil, maple syrup, water, salt, and vanilla. Stir well; then pour into the oat mixture, and stir. Spread out on the cookie sheet.
  4. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool before serving. (if you can stand it.  I was picking those toasted coconut flakes out almost immediately.)
Before storing I added about a cup of blueberry-flavored Craisins.  Sound creepy?  They are actually quite good and flavored with real blueberry juice, grape juice and, of course, sugar.  :)

This granola doesn't clump but the oats do get nice and crunchy.  It is delicious plain and I think it will be just as good over yogurt or in a bowl, plain, with some soy milk.

Enjoy!

xoxo

Comments

  1. YUM. Sadly, I have no real maple syrup - only that high fructose junk my children are addicted to. I keep planning on buying some, so now I will, and I will make this. Yes I well! Thanks! Clearly I love the exclamation mark too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pop on over to Vintage Pollyanna today--there is a surprise waiting for you! XOXO

    I used to make a fabulous granola recipe. YUM!

    http://vintagepollyanna.blogspot.com/2011/01/200-followers-and-blog-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teresa, that high fructose junk would probably work just fine. :) Allison, you are v. sweet. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome! I picked this as my first granola recipe because all I had was quick oats. I added Chia seeds and an array of nuts, plus thawed blueberries with a dusting of lflour to prevent bleeding during the cooking process. Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts