munch munch

My one new year's resolution, if you want to call it that, was to stop throwing vegetables away.

I have to admit, I throw away a lot of vegetables.  (Or rather,  I used to throw away a lot of vegetables.)

I don't mean to, I really don't.  I have the best intentions when buying them and then it all kind of falls apart as the week goes on until I find them, slick and dark, in the crisper.

I hate that.  It's a waste of money and even worse, a total loss for my body.

So I decided that I wouldn't throw them away anymore.  Which sneakily means...I must eat them!

And I am. 

(Oh wait...the one exception is iceberg lettuce.)

My sister is a big salad eater and I always love eating big salads when she is around.  Sadly she can't be here to make me salads every day (or egg sandwiches, which she also makes alarmingly well) so I had to step up and do it myself.  (poor me, I know)  I kind of enjoy the process now...

I put Nicholas in his highchair with some finger foods, turn on some good music and get chopping.  Of course there have been a few puckery tomatoes and brown-ish mushrooms that I just couldn't get down in time so those have gone in the freezer to make some veggie stock out of.

My favorite things to put on a salad are mostly shown above:  spinach, celery, carrots, broccoli slaw, pea shoots, cukes, tomatoes, beans of some sort, mushrooms, nuts and a little dressing.  Cut up apples are good, too.

I'm getting hungry now.

I am not hard and fast that this has to be my lunch (I had pizza yesterday!) but if I don't eat it at lunch I try to at dinner.  The main thing is that I eat them up before they go bad.

I've also been trying to put out plates of cut up veggies for my kids and Patrick in the evening.  If it's out, they usually eat it.  Patrick likes ranch dressing, Ruby likes them plain and James likes them with a dip I make out of his mayo, sour cream, and some spices. 

I feel like if they get some fresh veggies in them, even the hardest day can't be called a total loss.  :)

How do you eat your veggies?  Did you make any resolutions?  If so, how are they going?


xoxo

Comments

  1. Good for you! I throw away too many veggies, too! And I should do this! We were just saying that we need to eat more salads. What's 'broccoli slaw', is it the stuff in the clear container that looks like stems?

    ReplyDelete
  2. YED IMPLEMENTED VEGGIE TUESDAYS AT OUR HOUSE WHERE WE AVOID MEAT ALL DAY. I DON'T MIND IT AS I DON'T LIKE MEAT ALL THAT MUCH. WE WATCHED FOOD INC AND WERE DISGUSTED. UH OH...YED'S GONNA LOSE WEIGHT :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. broccoli slaw is pre-packaged shredded broccoli. It's by the coleslaw mix and bagged salad at my store. it's good! I don't like reg broccoli that much but I love that stuff. (good on sandwiches, too.) sarah - am afraid to watch that movie. xoxo also, I am not losing weight. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts