man, I love these balls

My friend Heidi shared her recipe for peanut butter balls and I love them!  They are a perfect snack and have really got me through some bad cravings on my "no sweets" days (and every other day).  They do have a lot of honey (aka sugar) but there is so much healthy stuff that we forget about that.  :)  Of course, we substituted all Sunbutter for the peanut & almond butters.  Go ahead and use peanut butter if it won't kill you.  (James is fine with almond butter but I don't really like it...too gritty.)

(please don't let my turd-like picture put you off)

Stir together in a bowl and set aside:
1 3/4 Cup honey  (I used a combo of honey & agave syrup)
1 1/4 Cup Smart Balance Peanut Butter
1/2 Cup Almond Butter ( Crunchy)  (substitute any nut butter you'd like)
In another bowl combine dry ingredients:
1/2 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 Cup Rolled Oats  (I used quick oats and they were fine)
1 Cup Oat Bran  (I used wheat bran)
1 Cup Sesame Seeds  (I used Chia seeds)
3/4 Cup Flax Seed Meal
1 Cup Unsweetened Shredded Coconut  (I toasted mine...yum!)
3 Tbls Wheat Germ
Next combine both bowls and mix thoroughly.  Should be wet and sticky.  Roll into balls, store in an air tight container and refrigerate.
The above recipe make a LOT of balls.  I made half a batch on my sister's recommendation and I still got about 32 1" balls.  They lasted 9 days.  When I used the sparkpeople recipe calculator I found that they have about 98 calories each.  I am good with that and can easily fit 2-3 into my daily diet.  :)  They are all natural and good for you compared to the mystery ingredients in a lot of those 100 calorie pack snacks.

I added mini chocolate chips to half the batch and they didn't really add much to the whole ball experience.  Next time I make them (tonight) I am going to roll some in a mixture of cocoa powder and cinnamon.   (combine 2T cocoa powder with 1.5t cinnamon and then roll your balls in mixture before refrigerating) 


You guys.  I held myself back from making repeated ball jokes.  I could make ball jokes all day.  I think my love affair started with this:





xoxo

Comments

  1. Your balls glisten and they are kind of wrinkly. But I bet they just melt in your mouth. LOL ;) I love that SNL clip - I could watch it over and over. mmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Micheal and I still laugh at this clip, and the Schweaty Weiners, too! So funny.

    I need healthier snack ideas, I don't have all these ingredients, I may have to go shopping!

    PS. Thanks for your sweet support on my whiney blog post. I'm still working on it all, your listening ear makes a difference! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The balls totally melt in my mouth, Susan. :) I've never seen Shweddy weiners!! will check it out. :) thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts