food allergies (grumble, grumble)

Yesterday was James' annual visit with his allergist.  His test this year shows that he has "undetectable" levels of both milk and peanut IgE in his blood which is great news, really.  (can you hear the excitement in my voice?)  Of course, he still has skin reactions to both.  sigh.  But he ate half a piece of cheese a couple of weeks ago (on accident...was on his sub that we ordered with no cheese) with no ill effects (aside from a little redness around his mouth that could have been from the spicy salami that has made his mouth red before).  I've always known his skin to be extra reactive so what does this all mean??  It was good to see that his skin reactions are significantly smaller than they have been in the past.  (like two years ago...holy cats!)

It means we continue to wait.  It means we celebrate that his scores in everything (milk, egg, peanut) have gone down every year of his life and he can now tolerate baked and melted dairy of all kinds.  That has been so awesome for him and us and I don't want to seem ungrateful...I am SO grateful for this, especially when I can make pizza, grilled cheese, quesadillas, etc. for dinner.  :)  (more dinner options are always good, right?)  He can also tolerate some baked egg and our doctor told me to keep going with that...just getting a little bit in him as much as possible will most likely help him outgrow the allergy faster.

I had told my sister that I would probably fall over dead if he didn't show a skin reaction yesterday but, of course, there was still a part of me that was hopeful.  I still am hopeful for the future, I suppose, but am giving myself a couple days to just feel sad about this, too...about food allergies in general.  Something with a food allergy comes up for us nearly every day of James' life.  Most of the time it is no big deal, we just figure it out and move on, but it is still always there.

I just searched my own blog and found this post that I wrote after his first negative blood test for dairy, 2 years ago.  The feelings are the same even with how far we've come.  I've learned that I just have to let myself feel sad for a couple of days and that it passes.  It's always on my mind more before a new school year starts, too.  Especially since the policies aren't really in place yet for his new school this year.  Yikes.  I hope we hear from the school soon...they are supposed to be figuring some stuff out.

I am going to drink some coffee.  Hopefully I will be back later with something a little more fun.  xoxo

Comments

  1. This really is good news, even though we would all like it to go a little bit faster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good news but at the same time, I completely understand why you are sad. Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending big hugs. I get it. Allergies stink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry this issue lingers on for you. It must feel like an invisible weight you all have to carry around with you all of the time. Although I don't know it firsthand, I agree with your friend Jules, allergies stink.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts