Tuesday, January 10, 2012

mini magnetic heart chalkboards tutorial - diy valentine's day

I love making valentines for my friends and family when I can.  (Last year I made these map ones.)  For some reason I always start thinking of them in January...I guess I must enjoy making something that isn't Christmas related?? I don't know for sure but I just checked and saw that I posted a vintage stamp download almost exactly a year ago today.  Freaky!  Predictable!  :)

Anyways, this year's idea came from where all good ideas come from...who the heck knows!  I have chalkboard paint here at home and like to use things I already have on hand if I can...this is usually where my brainstorming starts.  I first thought of painting a "chalkboard" on card stock but it didn't turn out quite like I wanted.  I remembered the flat wooden hearts at Jo-Ann's and decided to try those.  I loved them! 

If you want to make some, read on and I'll tell you how.  If you know you'll never get all this stuff together and actually do it, I'd love to make some for you!  I've got them here in my etsy shop and they're also at Glitter Workshop in Madison.  :) 

To make them, this is what you'll need:

  • wooden heart forms
  • chalkboard paint
  • foam brush (not necessary if you buy the chalkboard spray paint, fancy pants!)
  • small spices or blocks or something else to lay them on for drying so they don't stick
  • black spray paint (so you don't waste your chalkboard paint on the backs)
  • glue (strong (I like E 6000 or hot glue) and simple (like Elmer's))
  • magnets (I bought mine here and thought it was a great price)
  • glitter
  • sticks of white chalk (not as easy to find as you might think!  With my mom's help I finally found some at Michael's.  Target, Jo-Ann's, Dollar Tree and Wal Mart did not have any.  ???)
First, give your hearts a coat of chalkboard paint and lay them to dry.  Mine covered nicely with one coat so I left it at that. I thought it would be too hard to do the edges while the top was wet so I let them dry and went back later...


and touched up all of the edges.  As you can see below I laid them on top of spice jars so they could dry and not stick.
 When totally dry (which seems to happen really quickly but I still waited a few hours), prime them with chalk.  This just means to cover them with chalk and then wipe it all off.
 And there are your little chalkboards!  Cute, right?  But they needed a little something so I went downstairs to look around...

and spotted my glitter!  I went around each edge with glue (used Elmer's here), sprinkled with glitter and let dry.


It was...


 so I did them all!

Afterwards, I realised my backs looked sloppy so I gave them all a quick spray with black spray paint and put them back on the spices to dry.
The next step was not captured, but just involves gluing the magnets on the back.  There, you're done!

I packaged some of mine up in small glassine bags with a stick of the chalk and thought they looked so sweet.  You could also put them in an envelope or any cellophane bag...use your imagination!

So there you have it!  I hope you like my little hearts!  :)  Please link back here and/or let me know if you make them.


xoox, dear ones.

eta:  joining these great link up parties today:




DomesticallySpeaking
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating

3 comments:

  1. Super cute idea! I'm gonna try this one-love chalkboards and have the scrap pieces of foamboard-thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen this whole post about how to make heart shape chalkboard for valentine. I really like this amazing post. In this post describe all items use for make this chalkboard such as wooden heart forms, chalkboard paint, black spray paint, glue and many more.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...