Monday, October 07, 2013

super creepy

It's 8:30 on Monday morning and I'm drinking coffee and blogging.  All 3 of my healthy kids are on the couch behind me watching Space Buddies.  What is wrong with this picture?  Have I lost my mind??

Or did we get lice?

HUGE SIGH.  We did.  Our first time and it is a nightmare, like everyone says.  I almost broke down crying a couple times yesterday but my husband agreed it was as overwhelming as I was thinking it was and that helped. 

So, first.  The thankfuls.

Thankful that...

Ruby's been in preschool and school for 4 years and this is the first time we've had it.  (and James has been in school for 7 years!  but boys are a lot less likely.)

That we didn't get it when Nicky was an infant like I was terrified of.

That I found out early on a Sunday morning when Patrick was home and we had the whole day to do nothing but laundry and vacuum and pick through heads.

That Patrick combed through my whole head for me.  (yep, I've got it, too.)

For friends that have been through it and don't sound like you're diseased when you tell them.  (even though you kind of are.)

For a washer and dryer and movies on demand.

For offers of a strong cocktail once we're out of the woods.

___________________________________________________________________________

The bad parts are obvious.  Bugs on our heads.  My mom slept over the night before I found it.  (praying she'll be okay)  Phone calls to friends to tell them, even though they've all be so sweet.  A mountain of things to wash or run through the dryer.  I'm not kidding, a mountain.

I think I've talked before about how Patrick likes to create cozy nests on everyone's beds for them?  On James' bed alone there was one foam mattress pad, one cloth mattress pad, a sheet, one huge king size shabby chic blanket, 3 twin comforters, a fleece blanket, his special blanket, two standard bed pillows, one king size bed pillow and 4 throw pillows.  Oh, and 2 stuffed animals.  Ruby's bed was about the same.  Nicky's, just a smaller version.  Our bed had 3 comforters on it and multiple pillows.  Every room has rugs.  Ruby has bags of stuffed animals.  There were pillows and blankets on the couch and they had pulled up a big sleeping bag the night before while watching a movie.  Our couches had covers on them.  N E V E R E N D I N G.

Patrick and I talked last night about how this will be the coldest/most minimalistic winter on our families' record.  :)

I got chemical killer and an organic system  and a chemical spray and a preventative spray and ordered another natural killer spray.  I spent an hour and a half on Ruby's head and Patrick did the boys and mine.  They say you can go overboard, and we might be, but this is our first time.  It's creepy.

So, that's where my head is at.  (HA!)

How are you?  :)  Have you ever had lice?  What worked for you?  What didn't?  Please share if you've got the time.  I could use a virtual hug. 

Oh, and our new dishwasher and range are getting delivered this morning.  Patrick got up early and already emptied out under the sink took everything out of our oven storage drawer.  What would I do without him??  I want to comb through the kids now but will probably wait until the installation team is gone.  :)

Oh, but you know what?  Patrick almost didn't believe me yesterday morning when I first told him.  And I kind of knew he wouldn't and I told him calmly that I knew I was right and he could support me or leave for the day.  :)  Thank God that I found CLEAR proof shortly thereafter and now we don't have to get divorced over lice.

xoxoxo

2 comments:

  1. Heh, so what made you think you had it?

    We havent had it yet, but holy moses your beds and stuff sound like ours. Hmmm, 48 quilts on every surface? CHECK! 400 pillows on every couch and bed? CHECK.

    Serious nesters.

    And those shabby chic blankets are such a bitch to wash and we have one of those on every bed too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy. I am having flashbacks to our one, and only (so far) lice infestation 1 1/2 years ago. Like you, I threw everything at it, so I'm not sure what worked. It took a while to get rid of them all (sorry - hunker into the lice hell you are in). This is what I recall using:

    1. using some sort of face wash (forget the name, but I found this tip online), covered by a shower cap
    2. using olive oil, covered by a shower cap.
    3. pick pick and picking away with that teeny tiny metal comb
    4. every chemical treatment I could find at Walgreens and CVS.

    In the end, I think it was the superbomb of the chemical stuff that worked, plus a healthy amt of picking. I got them too, and it was hard to pick my own head but I would comb thru it and obsess over the little poppy seed size nits that I would find.

    It's a life changing experience. I think we all have a little bit of PTSD from it. I thought we would neer be lice free. Every once in a while, one of the kids will itch and run for the comb and have me check them. I did resort to shaving Enzo's lucious hair, and the other two got their hair cut much shorter, but I couldn't go there for me.

    So, here's a virtual hug. I feel your pain. And now I'm itching. where's my comb???

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...