2 things I want them to learn

You know how people always say, "My mother always says..." or "My father always says..."?  Just recently I realized I have two of those "sayings" that I want my kids to learn.

The first begins with an attitude that I've learned the past 5 years or so that got its start when I began taking anti-depressants when Ruby was 18 months old.  It was then that I became much more comfortable just rolling with the punches that life with two little ones can bring.  I had the drugs to help me to do that but I think doing it over and over made a pathway for my brain that I kept following even after I stopped taking them.  Sometime in the last year I was describing this to my mom and she said her mom was always able to do that...just shrug her shoulders when something would happen and say, "Oh, well!"  Like, okay that happened.  What are you going to do?  Moving on now.  I was so happy to have some words that went along with my thought process when things come up, as simple as they were, and even happier that I could relate them to my Grandma.

So I want my kids to learn how to say, "Oh, well!" like I try to and like my grandma did.  (xoxo)

The second thing I want them to learn is a saying that I learned on a blog.  :)  This sentence is the tagline for the Nesting Place blog and when I read what she wrote about it and how she used it, I loved it and found it to be so true.  And freeing.  And I say it a lot to myself now...It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful.  Thank you, Nester.  I apply it to so many situations and it's not a cop out line giving me permission to leave something sloppy or not do my best, it's more of an acceptance line reminding me to see the beauty in what I have or what I've done and know that it's enough.  I just love it.

Last weekend Ruby and I were watercolor painting and I got black paint smeared on one of my pictures and was kind of sad for a minute.  Then I told myself, "It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful." and I felt better.  :)  A couple nights later Ruby was working on valentines for her friends and they weren't coming out as she had planned.  She was so frustrated and ready to throw them all away.  I brought her over to my pictures, which she had really liked, and showed her the black paint and told her what I've learned about things being not being "perfect."  I think she understood what I was saying because she figured out how to make her stuff "work" even though it wasn't what she originally wanted.

See the paint down by the word cake?  dang it!  ;)

I just talked to James about "Oh, well" last night so it was on my mind this morning and I wanted to write it down.  I also love how both of these things tie together with our faith.  Some times are definitely harder to say "Oh, well!" about and then it's a big red flag that I need to spend some time in prayer about something.  I think in general God wants me to have a grateful heart and from that can come a genuine appreciation for life.   

Okay, before I go off on a big tangent I will stop.  I also want to add the disclaimer that I do not always have a super attitude and love everything.  But I do have these two little things stored in my mind and heart that I've found to be really helpful.  I hope I can pass them on to my kids. 

xoxo

Comments

  1. I am famous among my children and their friends for having the shortest lecture for wrong doing. I only say, "The choices you've made," and leave it at that. I recently heard my daughter say it to a friend and then they worked out how to move past the mistake to make it a better outcome. I was very proud of her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so need to learn the "oh well". I am a big time lecturer, and sometimes I hear myself doing and cant stop and I know I should. It drives me crazy. No one listens to me anyways, so why bother, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts