summer journal, days 16, 17

day 16:

(holy cow.  can barely remember this day.  lemme think...)
Okay, got it.  Day 16 was our normal morning routine followed by James' afternoon class.  Ruby had some report card money so her, Nick and I hit the mall for the afternoon.  She found some treasures and we got home in time to pick up James at 5:00.

Earlier, James had taken a baseball hat of Patrick's along on his hike.  I told him to be very careful with it because Dad got it in Key West 9.5 years ago, on our first trip with baby James.  I made it sound like it was super important just so he would be careful.  :)  Well, that afternoon James got off the bus with a red, tear stained face.  He had left the hat in the changing room at the state park they had visited.  :(  He was so upset!  I felt awful and assured him that Dad would not be mad but he was not buying it.  He tried calling and then texted Patrick and when he texted back that it was okay, James was so relieved.  

Patrick got home early and I had no dinner ready.  (kids had had frozen pizza, made by James, because they didn't thank me for the lunch I made them.)  He whipped himself up this grilled chicken and avocado sandwich that was so good.  so good.  I had had a slice of pizza so I declined one.  Later that night, about 9:45, I was hungry again and he offered to make me one.  At first I was like, "No, that's okay..." and then I came to my senses and said YES, PLEASE.  Delicious.  It was just leftover grilled chicken, thinly sliced, on bread with a little mayo and some avocado.  Then he grilled it like a grilled cheese.  so good.

day 17:

Today we went to Devil's Lake with my sister and her family.  It was a wonderful day and we didn't get home until 8:30 at night, happy and exhausted. 

Soon after we arrived, the sky darkened.  It was kind of chilly and windy and we were a little bummed.  The kids got in the lake right away but their teeth were chattering and they were cold when they got out.  A while later, it started to sprinkle and a woman came and told us that a bad storm was rolling in.  We packed everything up (do you know what I mean by everything?  It takes SO MUCH stuff for a day at the beach with kids.  :) ) and headed to our vehicles to hopefully wait it out.  Annie and I went into the lodge to get coffee (and look at tshirts, natch) and by the time we came out the sun was shining.  It stayed a little cloudy for about another 20 minutes and then the sun came out for good and we had an amazing day.  The storm totally missed us.  I was so thankful.

The kids swam and swam and swam and played and ate and swam some more.  We both had small inflatable boats with and they had so much fun with them.  I really wish Patrick could have been there.  I do have some pics that I will post soon.



Popular Posts