Shopping By-the-Pound Thrift Stores :: 7/31
I have learned that one of the best ways to earn the most money on eBay is to buy as low as I can and sell as high as I can. These days the thrift stores, God bless them, are making that harder and harder, aren't they? They knew that orange sweater I bought the other day was something special, didn't they? 5.99...who do they think they are?? (I'm kidding.) I get it! I do. They are a business, just like I am.
Which is why I do the bulk (ha!) of my shopping at a clothing-by-the-pound store.
Which looks like this:
Yeah, I'm not kidding.
I have talked about the Dig for years...I have been going there for about 15 years now!!! Crazy. But, oh man, the stuff I have pulled out of those bins. (...let's pause while I wipe a tear from my eye...)
Clothing at these types of stores normally sells for about $1 per pound. The catch is that you have to dig through A LOT of crap to find the gems. But they are there!!
I spent a couple of hours there on Saturday and spent $6.56. I got 2 items for myself, 7 items for the kids sales I do and 7 items for eBay. Here are the eBay items in a grainy picture I just took:
I found a pair of men's Prana* pants (my sister thought I could wear them but they were too long), a TravelSmith skirt, a Robert Graham* men's shirt, a LOLE* workout tank, LL Bean* athletic skort, Sparrow* (anthro) sweater, and a pair of Pilcro* (anthro) pants. All of this cost me about $5.50 and I can conservatively (and hopefully) sell it for around $140. Better than 20x my cost!
Tip of the day: I would HIGHLY suggest googling "by the pound clothing stores" with your city's name to see if there are any near you. If not, check within a few hours of you. These places might be worth a day trip.
If you find one and decide to go, you should know a
1. It is going to take a while. Plan on spending some time there, preferably without your kids if you can swing it.
2. It may feel like all you're seeing is junk, junk, junk but I promise you, the first time you pull that (insert favorite brand here) item in your size out of that bin you will be HOOKED.
3. Oh yeah. A bonus of shopping for eBay is all the great stuff you find for yourself. :)
4. These places are typically kind of dirty. Bring hand sanitizer and kleenex.
5. And snacks! Digging ain't easy!
6. When they bring out fresh bins it can get a little crazy. (think sharks & chum) My store is fairly low key but unless I am feeling frisky, I usually hang back a bit and wait for the frenzy to die down before going over to take a look.
7. Try to relax and feel thankful for the stuff you find. Don't focus on what is in that ladies cart over there. Not worth it. :)
8. Bring some bags. If you don't get a cart you can always stuff items in a bag while you're shopping.
Alright. I will stop here for the day. Coming up tomorrow are some researching tips and on Thursday I will talk about shipping all of this good stuff out! (Thanks, Mim!)
THIS is my landing post...you can click here to see a list of every post this month!
*other good brands to watch for!
See all the Nester's 31 Days participants HERE!